submitting M10 forms to Moray council with the celebrant angel aberdeen humanist wedding ceremonies aberdeen

How To Submit M10 Forms In Morayshire

With every wedding comes the paperwork

Before you can be legally married you need to submit the notice of your marriage.  

Submitting your M10 forms for your wedding, is a pretty important part of getting married, and it has to be right.

This needs to be done anywhere between 90 days before your wedding date and no later than 29 days before the ceremony.

They have to be accurate and include everything that the registrars require in order for them to draft your marriage schedule for the big day.


Each council has different ways of how to submit the M10 forms now, but they all require the same information.

My couples often ask me how you fill in the M10 forms and what they need to submit with the forms.

So I thought I’d write it all down for you; I’ve done the work finding out all the ins and outs and what goes where and when.

This blog is for submitting M10 forms to Moray Council.

And where our wedding is being held defines where and how you submit the forms.

in every wedding theres joy and love – as well as the planning and paperwork.

What Paperwork Do You Need to Provide

Whilst the councils may differ on how you submit your M10 forms, its different between Aberdeen and Moray councils for instance. And is probably different in Edinburgh.

What does stay the same are the documents you need to submit to them all.

The below documents are needed for each person in the marriage, so collate these as you go along, so you have everything to submit when it’s time.

Your Birth Certificate

Proof of Address –  for example, a bank statement that is no older than 3 months old an clearly shows your name and address.

Proof of Nationality – Your passport, or another document that provides evidence of your nationality.

Death Certificate/Divorce Certificate – if you or your partner were previously married and your partner passed away or you got divorced.

Dissolution Certificate – if you or your partner were previously in a civil partnership.

If you are not a British National, a certificate from your home country that states you are free to marry


submitting M10 forms to Moray council, with the celebrant angel aberdeen humanist wedding ceremonies

Completing The M10 Forms

Now it’s time to complete the M10 forms.

Remember – one for each of you.

There are instructions to help you when you click on the link.

Along with the M10 form, you may be asked to complete this form, this tells the registry office who your witnesses are and asks for my details.

Submitting the M10 Forms

Once you have collated all the evidence and completed the forms, you need to then submit them to Moray council.

completed marriage or civil partnership notice forms

completed witness and celebrant information sheet

completed declaration of status (if required)

supporting documents (see above)


You then need to call the Registray office in Elgin to make an appt to take your M10 forms and paperwork into them.

This is the address and contact number for the Elgin Registry office

Elgin Registration Office
240 High Street
IV30 1BA

TEl:  01343 554600


And that’s your notice lodged

submitting M10 forms to moray council with the celebrant angel aberdeen

Whats the Cost?

When marriage or civil partnership notices are submitted, a statutory fee of £100 (plus £0.90 postage) must be paid.

This £100 charge is broken down as follows:

Administration of two marriage or civil partnership notices – £90 (£45 per notice)

Production of a marriage or civil partnership certificate – £10

What Happens Next?

Your Marriage Schedule

If you are having a celebrant perform your wedding ceremony, the Registry office will arrange a date for you to pick up your marriage schedule.

This is normally the week of your wedding date and has to be picked up by at least one of the couple getting married, not by a nominated person.

And you have 3 days to submit the signed schedule back to them after your wedding day.

And if you’re rushing off on honeymoon this can be done by a nominated person.

I know when couples first look into how to submit their M10 forms and what documentation they need, it can be quite confusing.

Hopefully, by breaking it down like this it doesn’t look so scary now.

But Registry offices can often change the way they want you to submit your M10 forms, so always check out this link for any changes before you submit the M10 forms, or give them a call to verify everything.

And I’m here to help you every step of the way, so drop me a DM if you’re stuck with something on your M10 forms.

white tca logo 2023

More from The Celebrant Angel Blog…