What To Ask A Wedding Cake Maker
If you want to get the wedding cake of your dreams, it’s key that you speak with your cake maker and ask lots of questions.
What to ask a wedding cake maker
Choosing your wedding cake is another important decision in the wedding planning process. And if you want to get the wedding cake of your dreams, its key that you ask your cake maker lots of questions.
There are lots of things to consider when choosing the right cake for your wedding.
Don’t be scared to ask your wedding cake maker questions. They will be delighted to answer them as they know how important getting the cake just right is for couples.
Firstly who do you choose to make your cake?
Ask around for some recommendations from friends or family who recently had a wedding cake that you liked.
Have a look around locally and see who is available. Check out their websites or social media sites.
Check out Pinterest too. There are some fantastic looking cakes on there and it may give you an idea of what style of cake you want.
Get your options together of what it is you like and take them along to show to the suppliers.
If they have an idea of what you are looking for they will be able to advise if it’s a design they can do for you.
Are they free?
One of the first questions you want to ask your wedding cake maker is are they are available for your date?
There’s no point in asking all these questions if they aren’t going to be free is there?
Ask them about their business:
It’s always good to know about their business and how long they have been making wedding cakes.
So here are some questions to ask a wedding cake maker about their business.
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they have the appropriate health and hygiene certificates?
- How many cakes do they make in a year, can you see some photos of previous ones?
- Do they have any client testimonials you can see?
- Do they have a particular style, layered or tiered for instance?
- Are their cakes custom or do you choose from set designs?
Today with many people allergic to certain things, it’s important to know your guest’s allergies before you agree on the content and style of your wedding cake.
So perhaps ask that question from your guest list before you confirm your cake.
But it’s good to know upfront what allergies the cake maker can cater for if need be.
- Do they offer organic, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free options?
What flavours can you have?
Over the years couples have moved on from the traditional heavy fruit wedding cake and are now looking for something a bit lighter that caters for everyone’s tastes.
So another question to ask a wedding cake maker is all about the flavours.
- What are your choices for fillings?
- What flavour can you have in your sponge, can they do different flavours per layer for instance?
- Can you have a tasting session before you choose your cake?
What decorations do you want?
I have seen some amazing cakes, decorated in all different kinds of styles, some you don’t’ want to eat they are so pretty.
Deciding on how your cake is decorated depends on the style you choose.
If you go for the popular “naked” cakes, they tend to be quite “naked” with the bare minimum decoration, but you may prefer something a bit more decorated.
So here are some more questions to ask a wedding cake maker about the decoration side of a wedding cake.
- Do you have to have buttercream or icing?
- What other options are available if you don’t want either of them?
- Do they use fresh flowers to decorate the cake or sugar edible flowers?
- If I want fresh flowers do you provide those or your florist?
- What about any toppers, can they provide them or do you have a supply of them?
The Nitty Gritty:
I never had a fancy wedding cake when I got married, so some of the questions I would want to ask a wedding cake maker would be:
- How big should our cake be to feed (number of guests here)
- How far in advance do you need to book them to make your cake?
- Do they have a charge for designing your cake if it is bespoke to you?
- Will you see a drawing of your cake before they start?
- And how close to the wedding is the cake made?
- What is included in the price of the cake, is it priced per layer or whole cake
- Do they need a deposit? How much is it?
- When do they need the deposit and when is the final payment due?
- Do they have a cancellation policy in case you have to cancel?
On the Day:
- Do they deliver your cake to the venue? Is there a charge for that?
- If they do, how long do they need to set it all up on the day?
- If you have to pick it up from their premises, does the cake come packaged?
- What happens if the cake is damaged in transit to the venue if they are delivering it?
- Is the knife for cutting the cake provided by them, or is that usually the venue?
- Are cake stands provided to display the cake?
- Do they provide boxes for you to take home any leftover cake? Is there a cost for that?
Things your cake maker will want to ask you.
Just as you have questions to ask a wedding cake maker, they will have some for you too.
These questions below will help them gauge if they are free to make your cake and give them an idea of what the cake will cost you.
- How many guests is the cake for?
- Where is your venue?
- What time is your wedding and what date?
- Do you want the cake’s table to be decorated in any way, are you doing that or them?
- How many tiers do you want?
- What is your colour theme? Do you want the cake to match those?
- Is the wedding indoors or outdoors?
A wedding cake is a centrepiece on your wedding day, positioned where everyone can see it.
Take your time and check out a couple of wedding cake makers before you agree to “the one”
These are some of the more important questions to ask a wedding cake maker, I’m sure you will have some of your own too.
Make sure you jot everything down before you meet with a wedding cake maker, that way you won’t forget your questions
Kid Free WeddingHaving kids at weddings isn't everyone's cup of tea, but how do you tell your guests you want a kid free wedding?DecisionsHave you had that discussion yet about the guest list? This is always an awkward one for couples. Have you decided if you're...
A Pinkie PromiseA pinkie promise is a little way to make your wedding ceremony that little bit different, do a pinkie promise with each otherI bet you did this when you were young; you might still do it now with your kids. If you've never seen or done a pinkie...
Can I Have My Dog At My Ceremony?All of your special people will be with you on your wedding day. So why not have your dog at your wedding too.Including your dog on your wedding dayAs you've heard me say often, a celebrant led wedding ceremony is about having the day...
Honouring the important woman in your life in your wedding ceremony, like your mother or your grandmother, adds that extra special touch to your ceremony.There are many ways to include your mum or mother inlaw in your wedding ceremony, and you might already have an...
Booked A Celebrant; What Happens Next?Booking a celebrant is an important part of your wedding planning, but what happens once you have booked a celebrant?How Do We Meet?By the time you get to booking me as your celebrant, we will have had a face time call or met in...
Wedding Day Games Why not have some fun and laughter on your wedding day with some wedding games. Wedding Day Games The pandemic in 2020/2021 has brought some incredible changes in weddings. We have seen a demise in the more formal type of weddings for many...